Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mascara, thickening or lengthening - why can't we have both?

I don't wear a lot of makeup on a daily basis, but I must admit that I'm loathe to leave the house without my mascara on. Oh the shame! Needless to say, mascara is my main thing far as makeup is concerned. As such, I've been searching high and low for the perfect one for YEARS. Here's what I've found out.

Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume
Where to get it: available at most grocery and drugstores.
Cost: $10

My favorite.
Cover Girl Last Blast Volume (waterproof) is currently my go to tool for luxurious lashes. I like a mascara that gives a lot of volume and this one really comes through. The waterproof formula never smudges and it also provides a good amount of length. Of all the mascaras I've used, this is the best. A sweet price doesn't hurt either!


Loreal Voluminous
Where to get it: available at most grocery and drugstores.
Cost: $9

The alternate.
Before discovering my new best friend, I was a faithful user of Loreal Voluminous (waterproof). I liked the way it provided length yet gave me the full lashes I love. The only downside for this one is that the waterproof formula is not as un-budgable as others. If you're an eye rubber or contact lense wearer like me, try the Cover Girl.




Maybelline Volum' Express
Where to get it: available at most grocery and drugstores.
Cost: $9

The OK substitute.
Maybelline Volum' Express is an acceptable alternative to the Loreal or Cover Girl mascaras mentioned above. While it doesn't provide quite as much of a boost to your lashes, it does the trick pretty well and the waterproof formula stays put.



Maybelline's Falsies
Where to get it: available at most grocery and drugstores.
Cost: $9

Not impressed.
I was very intrigued when I saw the commercials for Maybelline's The Falsies Volume Express. Mascara that gives you thick, long, beautiful lashes without having to mess with glueing on fake ones? Sold. Unfortunately, this is just not the case. Falsies gave me neither volume or length comparable to my other faves. And the waterproof formula left me looking like a raccoon by the end of the day. Falsies indeed...



Kiss Me Mascara
Where to get it: Beauty and cosmetic stores such as Sephora
Cost: $24

Neh.
When I heard about the concept behind Kiss Me Mascara I must admit I was intruiged. The premise: this mascara forms tiny water resistant "tubes" around each individual lash. Once it's dry, it doesn't flake or smudge like traditional mascara. When you want to remove it, you just loosen the "tubes" with warm water and then slide them off your lashes.

The product does work as stated, but I found that it didn't provide me near enough volume or length to make it worth paying the higher price. And while it's great to have an easier way to take it off, I choose my mascara for the way it LOOKS not the way I remove it.

If you like a subtle look from mascara I'd recommend this, if not, give it a pass and save yourself the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment